Today I salute all the men and woman serving our country. All my friends... most of all my brother.I never understood what people went through when they said they had a loved one fighting for our country. Until we got word Scott was going.....
15 months ago, we all braced ourselves for the worste. I even emailed him and apologized for everything I ever said to him (mostly the I hate you's and the I hope you dies). There were alot of emotions with my brother going to Iraq. My family was on pins and needles.
In time, we grew together and became stronger together! We bonded. My sister in law and I became so close. I listened to the ups and downs of her going through this on a daily basis... alone. It was hard on me, that was my brother... but I had my husband to sleep next to every night. Late night phone calls meant our hands would shake until we looked at the caller id. The news was something we really didnt watch... only the local news.
I was the person on the other end of the phone when my sister in law just needed to talk, to vent, to tell someone about something one of the kids did. I watched Jen (my sister in law) grow into an even stronger person than she already was. I never had any doubt in her faith to Scott. Even though he was so far away, she continued to do everything she did for him.
I learned from this deployment that Soldiers like to be thanked for what they do. They do not hear it enough. So when I see a soldier in their uniform I take the time to walk up to them and thank them for serving and for their bravery.
This morning at approx 6:30 Kansas time, my brother was reunitied with his family and my parents. I woke up and immediately texted Jen to just ask a quick "he home?" no response so I figured they were still doing the ceremony. My dad called and told me he was home and in his own house. I have never felt so much relief in all my life. I hung up and bursted into tears.
I have been a ball of emotions all day. I am thankful that my brother made it home safe, in one piece and alive! I am thankful that this expierence has brought our family closer than I ever thought it would. I am thankful to Scott for serving our country, for being so brave, for being a great brother, friend and father!
Here's to you Scott.... for all the things you are... and to Jen.... for being as strong as you are!
I love you both more than you know!!

2 comments:
This is wonderful news. I have to keep wiping the tears away. We take for granted the men and women who serve. We forget they have families because we get so wrapped up in our own lives. There isn't a day that goes by that my family and I thank God for the service men and women who are aware from their families fighting for me. Thank you. Thank You. Thank you GOD for bringing another one home to his family!
I'm so glad he's home safe and sound. It's rough going through that. I'm thankful everyday for what these men and women do for us and even more thankful that my ex husband hasn't been deployed yet, though I know the time will come when he is.
Post a Comment