Monday, September 15, 2008

Hurting Heart

My heart is hurting today....
I work with a gal that gave birth to a baby boy at 27 weeks. He weighs 2 pounds 5 ounces and is 14 inches long. It looked promising. He has some surgery on his intestines and still has 98% of them. He was breathing with just a nasal cannula.
Saturday, he took a turn for the worse. He developed an infection and they found his heart was not working the way it should. The parents were told they were going to need to make a decision. The doctors could not promise his quality of life. By the end of the day today, his parents were not ready to make such a decision, had a second opinion, and that doctor gave them a ray of hope.
My hurt is hurting today for another, almost similar reason....
One of the girls I have known the longest in my life, is 33 weeks pregnant. She too is having some pre-term labor issues. She is on medication to reduce the effects of her going into labor, and has been tested positive fetal fibronectin.

My heart is hurting because two of the nicest people I know are both wondering what they have done to have this happen to them, and they are blaming themselves. While one has to leave her baby boy in the NICU everynight, the other is facing having to do the same thing.

My heart truly hurts because the people that shouldnt have children are able to continue bringing life into this world. Because the children are the ones who has to suffer when their parents dont want them. My heart hurts, because the nicest people in the world who seriously want children are unable to bring them into this world. The people that cant get pregnant, for whatever reason, things happen and they are unable to carry to term.

While I am glad I have never had to face such a situation, I feel bad at the same time. Like I feel guilty that I was able to bring both my children home when I got to leave the hospital. And looking back on it, I would much rather have to go through all the problems that I had with Payton over again, than to have to live a day in either one of my friends shoes.

My heart hurts because, I cant tell them I know what they are going through.... I cant help them, all I can do is be there for each of them and listen to their hopes and fears.

I can tell you, I pray alot... I pray for miracles everyday! I believe the power of prayer can heal. For those that remember we received a miracle with the power of prayer in Paytons early days. Any one who reads this, I ask that you pray to whoever your God is. And ask that these two mothers, two fathers, and these two little babies heel and are strong enough to make it through this hard time. Pray for the families of them too.

I will keep you all updated. I know God has a plan for all of us. I just pray it is in his plan to keep these innocent babies from visiting him anytime soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i had no idea the baby had gotten worse... please, keep me posted!