Thursday, January 7, 2010

Nebraska Note

We arrived in Nebraska safely and to about a foot of snow. Over Christmas it snowed for 4 days! Freezing drizzle appears to the what it does here most. It is a very pretty sight.
The neighborhood we live in is an older neighborhood. The houses are kept up really well (except the one we live in). Over Christmas, one of the neighbors had a get together and invited us. We went, and everyone in the neighborhood is very friendly. We are the youngest on the street! I would say everyone has at least 5 to 10 years on us. We live not too far from a little neighborhood lake where there are alot of ducks. They frequent the neighborhood. Literally coming up to your house and eating out of your hand!

We live minutes away from the mall and all the stores we need. Kearney is small but it is big enough to feel like you are living in an actual city. It has alot of the sames stores you would find in Albuquerque.
As I mentioned before, the people are very friendly here. In fact, our first encounter with a Nebraskian was that we were at a gas station and the girls were with us and a gentleman behind us in line asked Hannah if she had a piggy bank. When she responded yes, he gave her a quarter and wished he a Merry Christmas! Of course, Payton didnt let that slide by, she promptly held out her hand and said "Where's my money!?" My family, will definitely break these people in yet!!
The Nebraska Huskers are a BIG deal here! A big deal!! The news reports on everything they do!! Everywhere you look, someone is wearing a Huskers article of clothing. Most cars have stickers on them. And houses are all decked out with Husker gear! In fact, the house next door has a Husker helmet mailbox! I have never seen one place like their college team so much!
The schools here seem to be great! The weirdest thing is that elementary schools do not provide school buses. No matter where you live, you must get a ride to and from school. Middle school students can ride the bus, but they have to pay for it! Hannah likes her new school and her teacher.
Woody really likes his job! Really likes it! So as long as this company is around and here... I dont foresee us coming back any time soon! So anyone with bets, your gonna lose! hehe
Hannah lost her first tooth finally. So we had Santa AND the tooth fairy! She hasnt gotten into any trouble yet at school. This may be record breaking!

Payton.... well, I saved the best for last! Payton is now a parrot! She repeats everything. It doesnt matter what is said, that girl is repeating it. Not my idea of a good time but it quickly made me realize that I must use that filter Jeremy (my boss) always talked about!

And me, well, I still would prefer to work. I am slowly getting into a routine of staying home. I dont sleep in late, and my bedtime has actually moved up to 10:30!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you're loving it up there! But I have no idea what this "snow" thing is... please explain?

Unknown said...

i love the ducks!! you're only about 8 hours from me! you should come visit sometime.